- Broadly representative: The Coalition’s membership and activities will reflect the range of audiences, organizations, and interests that together influence achievement of the Coalition’s mission and goals.
- Science-based: The Coalition will center its focus and considerations on the best available science and the tenets and requirements of public health inquiry and action.
- Apolitical: The Coalition will focus solely on its mission and goals and will operate in a manner that is strictly non-partisan and apolitical.
- Autonomous: While striving to define and support achievement of shared purposes among Coalition members, the Coalition recognizes and respects the autonomy and independence of its member organizations.
- Any and all uses of the Coalition name, logo, materials, and activities are subject to review and approval by Coalition members.
- The Coalition will not endorse commercial products.
- The Coalition will publicly identify the names of members on its website and in media materials.
- The Coalition will not consider and advance legislation or regulatory recommendations, but may serve as a forum for discussion of issues related to such purposes.
*Federal agency representatives will not participate in SCDC discussions related to advocacy.
Guiding Principles for Participants
These Guiding Principles set forth the qualifications for initial participation and the conditions for continued participation in the Sickle Cell Disease Coalition. Groups wishing to participate in the Coalition initially must demonstrate that they meet the criteria applicable to the relevant participant category. Existing participants are expected to continue to meet the criteria applicable to their participant category and to conduct themselves in accordance with these Guiding Principles to continue their participation in the Coalition.