Sickle Cell Disease Coalition
We're committed to conquering SCD.
access to care in the U.S.
In the United States, access to appropriate care is limited by a number of critical factors.
Training and professional education
There are not enough health care providers with comprehensive knowledge and expertise to care for people with sickle cell disease.
Research and clinical trials
The majority of available treatments manage symptoms of the disease, rather than treating the underlying cause of sickling.
Sickle cell disease is a major killer of infants and children in the developing world, especially in Africa and India where the disease is more common.
When a doctor does understand sickle cell disease, . . . the care is superb.
What is Sickle Cell Disease?
Sickle Cell Disease is an inherited blood disorder that causes red blood cells to form into a crescent shape, like a sickle. These cells break apart easily, clump together, and stick to the walls of blood vessels, blocking the flow of blood, which can lead to a range of serious health issues.
Explore our resource library for helpful tools on sickle cell disease.
The Sickle Cell Disease Coalition is composed of public health, research, and provider organizations, patient groups, faith-based organizations, federal agencies, industry representatives, and foundations with an interest in Sickle Cell Disease.
- ASH Research Collaborative
- America's Blood Centers
- American Academy of Emergency Medicine
- American Academy of Pediatrics*
- American Psychological Association (APA)
- American Public Health Association*
- American Red Cross
- American Society for Transplantation and Cellular Therapy (ASTCT)
- American Society for Apheresis
- American Society for Clinical Pathology
- American Society of Gene & Cell Therapy
- American Society of Hematology (ASH)*
- American Society of Nephrology
- American Society of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology (ASPHO)
- American Thoracic Society
- An International Division of ABC (ADRP)
- Association Suisse Drépano
- Association for the Advancement of Blood and Biotherapies (AABB)
- Association of Maternal & Child Health Programs (AMCHP)
- Association of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Nurses
- Association of Public Health Laboratories*
- Australian Sickle Cell Advocacy Inc.
- Axis Advocacy
- Bluebird Bio
- Break The SSickle Cell Cycle Foundation, INC. (BTSSCC)
- CSL Behring
- Caribbean Institute for Health Research (CAIHR)
- Caring Cross
- Cayenne Wellness Center
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS)
- Cerus Corporation
- Chiesi USA
- Clinton Health Access Initiative (CHAI)
- College of American Pathologists
- Crispr Therapeutics
- Doris Duke Charitable Foundation
- Emergency Department Sickle Cell Care Collaborative*
- Emmaus Life Sciences, inc.
- European Sickle Cell Federation (ESCF)
- Expecting Health
- FMDT SOS GLOBI
- Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
- Foundation for Sickle Cell Disease Research
- Foundation for Women and Girls With Blood Disorders
- Functional Fluidics
- Global Alliance of Sickle Cell Disease Organizations (GASCDO)
- Global Sickle Cell Disease Network
- Hematology and Oncology Society of Africa*
- Hemex Health
- International Association of Sickle Cell Nurses and Professional Associates (IASCNAPA)
- Martin Center Sickle Cell Initiative
- Medunik USA
- Mellamia Global Foundation
- Muhimbilii University of Health and Allied Sciences (MUHAS) Sickle Cell Programme
- National Alliance of Sickle Cell Centers
- National Black Nurses Association (NBNA)
- National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI)
- National Institute for Children's Health Quality (NICHQ)
- National Marrow Donor Program
- National Medical Association (NMA)
- National Minority Quality Forum
- Options for Children in Zambia
- Our Sickle Cell Educare Warriors Initiative (OSCEWI)
- Pathways to Trust
- Patient Advocate Foundation
- Pediatric Hospital Sickle Cell Collaborative
- Prolong Pharmaceuticals
- Reach a Child Initiative Zambia (RACIZ)
- Relife Health Foundation
- Sanofi Genzyme
- Sarafinah Sickle Cell Society
- Sick Cells
- Sickle Cell 101
- Sickle Cell Adult Provider Network (SCAPN)
- Sickle Cell Advocacy and Management Initiative (SAMI)
- Sickle Cell Aid Foundation
- Sickle Cell Association of Texas Marc Thomas Foundation
- Sickle Cell Awareness Group of Ontario (SCAGO)
- Sickle Cell Community Consortium (SCCC)
- Sickle Cell Disease Association of America (SCDAA)*
- Sickle Cell Disease Association of America, Michigan
- Sickle Cell Disease Foundation of California
- Sickle Cell Foundation of Georgia, inc.
- Sickle Cell Foundation of Ghana
- Sickle Cell Outcome REsearch Program
- Sickle Cell Research Centre - Uganda
- Sickle Cell Society UK
- Sickle Cell Transplant and Advocacy Research Alliance (STAR)
- Sickle Cell Uhuru Trust (SCUT)
- Sickle Cell Warriors
- Sickle Cell and Thalassemia Ireland
- Smile Sickle Cell Foundation
- Tanzania Sickle Cell Warriors Organization
- Terumo BCT
- Thalassaemia International Federation
- The Emmes Corporation
- The Shikuri Project Charitable Trust
- The Sickle Cell Disease Association of Canada/L’Association D’Anémie Falciforme Du Canada (SCDAC/AAFC)
- University Blood Initiative
- Vertex Pharmaceuticals
- Your Nonprofit Guru Foundation
- Zambian Network for Sickle Cell - Amplified Voices & Advocacy
*Member belongs to the Steering Committee.